Although here at Breastmates we don’t have a miracle cure for your extreme morning sickness, we can offer you support and acknowledgement of how hard that can be, and some tips to focus on getting through each day. We also have a supportive community with other mums on our facebook page. And we can certainly distract you with some maternity shopping!
The following is a summary of top suggestions from mums who have been through a similar hyperemesis gravidarum.
- Electrolyte sachets from the chemist are a godsend
- Try and keep as hydrated as you can.
- Don’t be afraid to ask your hospital or after hours for iv fluids!
- Don’t overload yourself with tasks
- Don’t beat yourself up if you don’t get things done or if you need to sleep lots
- Eat gentle foods and crackers – nibble them before you get out of bed
- A prescription for Ondansetron for the vomiting
- Peppermint oil beside the bed, to ease nausea to get to sleep
- Pregnancy Acupuncture
- Look after your mental health
- Keep thinking of the baby and allow yourself to enjoy the things you can, while just getting through one day at a time.
Good luck, you can totally do this – even if you don’t feel so right now